THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

25.2.09

maybe



Maybe I'm just a sucker for a hot man - a really really bright and tall and hot man - maybe I want eyes I can get lost in telling me that the future is not going to be easily won & that we have to start working on it yesterday - maybe I want to have to look up into those eyes and see in them trust and support and not condescending platitudes - maybe I want his voice to be able to challenge me to actions screaming into the night sky - maybe I want the same voice to sing me lullabies to sleep dreaming of a tomorrow of power and passion - maybe all of that

Peter Garrett - let me tell you how much I love this man. He is not one of my elected officials - but damned if I wouldn't vote for him if the opportunity arose. Now I know that many of you thought I was talking about Obama - he's lovely, but the power of his words have yet to strike me as Garrett's have. His voice has yet to drive me to tears.

And I freely admit that yeah - everytime I sit in church as I did this morning for Ash Wednesday mass I hear INXS playing "Devil Inside" in my head. Just as everytime I see/hear of our latest military action I hear "US Forces" raging in my head. The song is so old but still how much of our military actions since it was written fall under the same standard.

"U.S Forces give the nod
It's a setback for your country
Bombs and trenches all in rows
Bombs and threats still ask for more
Divided world, the CIA, say who control the issue
You leave us with no time to talk
You can write your own assessment

Sing me songs of no denying
Seems to me too many tired
Waiting for the next big thing

Will you know it when you see it
High risk children, dogs of war
Now market movements call the shots
Business deals in parking lots
Waiting for the meeting of tomorrow

Sing me songs of no denying
Seems to me too many tired
Waiting for the next big thing

Everyone too stoned to start a mission
People too scared to go to Prison
We're unable to make decisions
Politicians party line, don't cross that floor
L.Ron Hubbard can't save your life
Superboy takes a plutonium wife
In the shadow of Ban The Bomb we live....."

From those first few beats of the percussion - I remember hearing it when I was young; almost too young to understand. Does this mean I'm too old now to forget?

Maybe I just dig him as a secondary to loving Richard O'Brien - I wouldn't be surprised - not at all. Somehow all that twisted artistry being replaced with a social conscience.

hmmm yummmm

No comments: